Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The Reading Situation

My T rides aren't super long, so as much as I want to read my book, the bulk of other items I am generally carrying prevents that most of the time. 

So I  do what most people on the train do; I play on my iPhone and generally ignore others.

On my way home today, two elementary aged kids sat beside me while their dad stood in front of them (with a pretty cool Wolverine t-shirt I might add). It took me a minute to notice, but they were both reading,

Books.

Not comic books or kiddy books. Not Kindles or Nooks or iPhones.

Actual books.

And the cherry on top?

I overhear their conversation.

The boy, maybe 8, starts asking questions about what certain phrases in the book meant. And like an amazing dad, his father helped guide him to the answer by asking questions and building on his son's prior knowledge.

WIN FOR YOU DUDE.

So not only did I witness reading and reading comprehension in action, but I also observed actual conversation.

On the T.

And as I sat there amazed and slightly guilty over my paperback laying in my purse, nearly ready to compliment this man and his children aloud, the boy asks what station they are getting off at.

And the dad just scolds him about not listening and tells them both to sit up straight and he won't tell them again.

What the frell?

You've got two awesome kids who actually like to read and learn and you're going to nitpick over posture and having to repeat yourself?

And just when I thought there was intelligent life left in the Northeast....

No comments:

Post a Comment