Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The Song Revelation

Some songs are very meaningful. Sometimes a song takes you back to an old memory, buried in your brain and dragged to the surface where it hopefully reminds you of a good time I your life.

Happened to me twice today. Once was Gloria Estefan's "I just want to be happy", which brought up memories of evacuating four hurricanes in a row, car trips to Tampa, sleeping on a carpet, and dancing to this song over and over with. Bunch if college friends and one of their (mostly) sober moms.

Another song reminded me of one of those college friends. B was just my height, crazy smart, crazy opinionated (but funny about it) and was par of a group of the same nerdy friends. We dated only briefly, and remained friends. About a year later he confessed to us his deepest secret: he was gay. 

Now I've told this story (the extended cut) many times, and have occasionally gotten laughter or mockery at the fact that I was his last girlfriend before his confession. 

I mean really. Even if he knew he was gay then (and he did) what does it matter? It's not embarrassing to me at all. Maybe I helped him realize what he really wanted. Maybe as a group we finally made him feel comfortable enough to pursue true happiness. Whatever it was--we're both happy now and that is what counts!

No comments:

Post a Comment